Monday, May 31, 2010

BBQ Hamburgers


I know BBQ hamburgers are an easy thing with being able to buy pre-made patties. However, my family (relatives and all) and I love this recipe I do for homemade patties. They are easy and healthy. This recipe makes about 12 large patties. They do shrink as they cook, but they stay really thick. I use Sara Lee Wheat buns to help it be even healthier.
4 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 cup pureed carrot
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
approx 1 tbsp Season All
I normally don't measure my spices, but this is a best guess of how much I use. I prefer to add little bits as I mix so the spices get throughout all the meat.
I put the meat and pureed carrot in a large bowl. I mix with my hands by squeezing (like you would meatloaf). Then I slowly add spices, mix with hands, add a little more spices, mix again, and so on until I feel it's ready. Then I form the patties into about 5 inch round and about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick patties (they will thicken a little more as they cook, and shrink in). The puree helps these burgers be so juicy and good. I normally also add cheese for a yummy cheese burger.

2 comments:

Jess said...

I'll have to try that! Looks yummy. My burger patties usually fall apart :) Have you ever tried putting fresh garlic in there??

Stacy said...

I have tried minced garlic. I love it, but Kelly isn't a big garlic fan, so I stick to a little garlic powder.

I have also tried a little steak seasoning. It gives it a little kick. I use Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning. I like it, but the kids think it's too spicy.